Tuesday, November 25, 2014

What is a “Moon Flower”?

24 November 2014

The Short Answer (TSA)

            I plant a garden every year and grow morning glories from seed every year.  Last year, I found the seed section of my local hardware store “picked-over.”  Unable to find my usual morning glories, I finally saw a pack of seed at the very bottom of the rack.  I reached down and picked up a pack without a thought.

            But I was in for a surprise.  The picture on the package - that looked like a morning glory - wasn’t.  To my surprise, I found myself buying a pack of moon flower seeds.  Instead of the morning, was I going to get the “glories of the night”?!

            My mistake was a natural one.  Known to their friends by their comfortable name, “moon flowers,” they are formally called Ipomoea alba.   These beautiful flowering vines were originally native to Mexico and Argentina.

            Why moon flower?

            Because this variety of what is, admittedly, called Morning Glory doesn’t bloom in the morning.  Instead, the moon flower blooms in the dark of night.  And, incidentally, these white, round flowers resemble a full moon.
            When I read the pack, I quickly realized that moon flowers would be a welcome addition to my garden.  Far from some vampiric hybrid with a dangerous nature, the moon flower is a morning glory that blooms really, really early in the morning.  Well, actually, they bloom long before it’s morning -- appearing after sundown and remaining until touched by the first rays of the rising sun.  (Although, on overcast days, they can last into the daylight hours.) 

            The flowers can be 3 to 6 inches wide and do for the evening what the traditional morning glory does for the early morning hours -- create a striking visual display of blossoms.  Now, thinking of the heat of the summer, I’m looking for an all-day-long glory, but have yet to find one.   



M Grossmann of Hazelwood, Missouri & Belleville, Illinois

 

No comments:

Post a Comment